Sign In
Skip Navigation LinksCommunity Action of Northeast Indiana > What We Do > Energy Assistance (Heating)


If you are disconnected or up for disconnect, please contact our office at (260) 423-3546 with questions, or at 1-800-589-2264 to make an appointment



Note: If your electric or gas bill is scheduled for disconnect, compete this paperwork and bring to your local CANI office with all appropriate documentation.


 Download the Web Application 


By completing and submitting this application you understand the following:
  • Submitting a mail-in application does not stop a disconnect notice nor does it guarantee assistance.  You must continue to pay your bill.
  • You will not receive the assistance approval letter until after January 2, 2014.
  • It can take 4-6 months before the payments to appear on your utility bills.
  • If you are disconnected or move before the moratorium date of December 1, 2013, you will not be protected from disconnection for non-payment.
  • You MUST have the EAP application returned to the CANI office by April 15, 2014.  You must schedule an appointment if you fail to submit the mail-in application by this date.
  • CANI is no longer able to verify your Social Security Income or Social Security numbers.  You must make a copy of your current Social Security award letter, or a copy of your bank statement if you have direct deposit for your Social Security, and submit this with your EAP application.
  • You must also submit a copy of every family member’s social security card, or submit proof, from Social Security Administration of everyone’s social security number. 
In order to process your application, you must complete the following:
  • Please complete each area on the Energy Assistance application.
  • You must send a copy of your CURRENT electric and gas bill.
  • Please sign and date all forms.
  • You must provide proof of income for the past 12 months for all household members over the age of 18. Anyone over 18 with no income must submit a Zero Income Verifications form and a Wage History Statement.
  • If you are renting, you must submit the included Landlord Affidavit.


Only send copies of required documentation. No copies will be returned to you.
Please call (260) 423-3546 and select the option for Energy Assistance General Questions if you have questions regarding early application.

You must provide your own postage. 

Mail the application to:
PO BOX 10570
Fort Wayne, IN 46853-0570


CANI’s Energy-Saving Tips



Whether or not you’re eligible for CANI’s Energy Assistance or Weatherization programs, here are some simple things you can do to lower your energy costs at home.




  • Change your furnace filter every two months. The furnace will heat better, and less hot air will go up the chimney.
  • Check heat registers to make sure they are not blocked by furniture or carpeting.
  • Try to set the thermostat back while you are at work or asleep. The ideal winter inside temperature is 68° Fahrenheit or less, unless you have medical problems.
  • Make sure the windows are firmly closed and window locks are tight. Reduce drafts around windows.

Hot Water


  • Water heaters use lots of energy. Install a water heater blanket, available at home improvement stores, but be sure to follow the directions. Don’t insulate the top of a gas water heater, because of the potential for fire. You can insulate the pipes on top of the water heater, but again, follow directions.
  • Turn the temperature on the water heater down to 120° to 125° Fahrenheit. That will be more energy efficient and the risk of children scalding themselves will be less. To measure your water temperature, run the hot water for three to five minutes and measure the temperature with a cooking thermometer.
  • Buy a low-flow showerhead. Most older shower heads use six gallons of water a minute. Low-flow showerheads use 2½ gallons of water a minute. To measure this, put a bucket under your shower head and turn on the water for exactly one minute. Measure how much water is in the bucket. Changing to a low-flow showerhead can save 30,000 gallons of hot water a year for a family of four that each takes a daily shower. Take short, 5-minute showers.
  • Wash your clothes in cold water.

General Hints

  • Use compact fluorescent light bulbs in fixtures that are going to be on eight or more hours a day. Turn off lights you are not using.
  • Have at least one working smoke detector and test it monthly. (No, this doesn’t save energy, but it saves lives.)

Buying Appliances and Insulation


  • Buy appliances with an Energy Star rating because they are cheaper to operate.
    The rating means the federal Department of Energy gives the appliance a high rating for efficiency.
  • Be sure your walls have insulation and your attic has 10 inches of insulation. Paying to have wall insulation installed can pay for itself in energy savings in three years.




Facebook YouTube Blogger CAP INCAA Housing BBB Head Start United Way Guidestar U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development

Community Action of Northeast Indiana | 227 E. Washington Blvd. | Fort Wayne, IN 46802

(260) 423-3546 / Appointment Line: (800) 589-2264 (Child Care and Energy Assistance only)

Privacy Practices | Locations | Contact Us